How to handle Cast Conversion Char(10) to big Integer

Hi Folks,

Am basically trying to understand how cast conversion from char (10) to int//bigint works. Although the syntax provided in the documentation is helpful. But in reality, it behaves differently

For Instance, I have a TERADATA Query which is doing Char(10)/100K Computation .

select char(10)/1000000 from table using some Filter Condition

But while parsing on Starburst Enterprise (Trino SQL Syntax) fails. So in order to make it work, have changed it to:
select cast(char (10) as BIGINT from table - But this conversion did not work seems like number of bytes or either more or less

It errored out saying that Cannot convert char to BIg INT

So how to achieve the cast conversion for such a simple example

I thought this was going to be an easy question, but it wasn’t. First, thought we just needed to use try_cast() instead of cast(), but realized quickly, as you did, that this is rooted in the CHAR data type itself as it works find casting from VARCHAR.

I then thought I could cast the CHAR to VARCHAR and then take that and cast it to the BIGINT, but still got the same error. I did my testing on the Hive connector (I realize you are testing with TD) and since they both behave the same way it is surely something in the core Trino engine itself.

Someone brighter than me will be needed to explain exactly what the underlying logic is freaking out about. I’m pretty sure I could write a SQL routine that could help, but then all the data will likely have to come back to Trino to tackle the filter instead of letting TD resolve it internally.

Shy of that (or finding out from someone more knowledgeable of a better workaround) I guess you could always add a new column on the TD table to hold the answer of your division problem and just use a trigger to calculate it on insert/update of a row.

Hi Lester ,

Seems to be this may be work. But will give it a short. In data world you need to try different things and that is everyone learns about data

SELECT CAST(TRIM(char_column) AS BIGINT)
FROM your_table
WHERE REGEXP_LIKE(TRIM(char_column), '[1]+

But thank you once gain for this

1. 0-9 ↩︎

1 Like

Glad you found a workaround and 100% we’ve got to just keep leaning on it until we find something that will work. Thanks for sharing.